When I found out I was pregnant with baby boy last February, I quickly realized that shopping for baby essentials was a black hole of sorts. With so many products to choose from, and the inconvenient truth that every baby is different in terms of what works, I was left wondering which purchases I really needed to make for a newborn. Now that my babe is almost 3 months old (what?!), I’ve had the chance to look back on which products were a lifesaver for us in those early days. Whether you’re anxiously awaiting baby yourself, or just looking to buy a baby shower gift that will truly help a mama out, the picks below are a sure thing.
1. Honest Co. diapers – As you can see, I have an infinity for black and white, so I can’t resist this adorable skull print. Plus, these diapers are ultra absorbent without any risky additives – perfect for sensitive baby skin!
2. Solly baby wrap – Newborns love/need/demand to be held close, and the solly baby wrap makes it possible to keep baby snuggled up to you while you go about your day. It easily fits in your purse or diaper bag, is machine washable, and what’s more, it’s actually comfortable (and beautiful) to wear. A must!
3. Honest Co. Healing Balm – This was given to me by a mama girlfriend who knows her stuff, and she was right – it is AMAZING on baby’s skin. Especially with a little one born in the cooler months when dry skin plagues us all, this balm clears up any and all dry patches or irritation naturally and so so effectively.
4. Aden and Anais muslin swaddling blankets -Swaddling keeps baby secure and that wrapped up feeling reminds them of the womb – so helpful for falling (and staying!) asleep at night. The fabric is beautiful, and while there are many adorable prints, my personal favourite is classic white.
5. White on Black by Tana Hoban – Since newborns only see high contrast, this book of black and white images is engaging for baby in those early weeks. It’s the perfect way to start “reading” with your little one, and seeing them carefully observe each page is heart melting every. time.
6. Babybjorn cradle – Besides being beautiful to look at it, this cradle is ultra functional. Made of mesh, it’s breathable for baby and also offers you the option of bouncing or rocking your baby. It is so light, perfect for those early weeks when baby is sleeping at all sorts of times and in all rooms of your home.
Any other newborn essentials on your lists? Fill me in below!