Today’s recipe comes from the Valentine’s Day Brunch I styled with Shelby’s Sweet Shoppe and her adorable baked goods (and if you missed that post, check it out here!). As soon as I laid eyes on these sweet miniature doughnuts, frosted pink and topped with sprinkles, it was love. These doughnuts are the perfect way to surprise someone special come Valentine’s Day morning. If you’re really looking to impress, serve them atop a glass of milk or a mug of coffee, complete with a festive straw. Here’s the recipe for the perfect baked doughnut, courtesy of Shelby’s Sweet Shoppe…
Baked Doughnuts (Adapted from Sur La Table)
2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray mini doughnut pan with nonstick baking spray.
2. Combine buttermilk, eggs, unsalted butter and vanilla.
3. In mixing bowl of kitchen aid, sift together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low, add the liquid ingredients and beat until just combined.
4. Scrape doughnut batter into piping bag (or ziplock!) and cut the end. Fill each doughnut hole about 2/3 of the way. Bake 6-8 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Let the doughnuts cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes before turning onto cooling rack.
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp whipping cream
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Colour of your choice
1. In small bowl, stir together sugar, cream and extract until sugar is completely dissolved. At this point you can add your food colouring.
2. Dip top of doughnut in glaze and allow to set before serving. If you’d like to add a topping (sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, etc.) make sure you do so before the glaze sets.
Any favourite recipes you make for your loved ones come Valentine’s Day? Share them in the comments below!
Photography | Andrea Palmer